The Sidewinder is by far our most popular 3 fuel system! Along with our Fissure lineup, arguably the finest 3 fuel (alchol, esbit, wood) ultralight backpacking stoves on the market!
- The Sidewinder Ti-Tri system includes the Ti-Tri titanium cone custom sized to fit in your pot, the titanium GramCracker solid fuel kit, the lightweight aluminum Kojin stove, fuel bottle kit with measuring cup, Tyvek sleeve to protect your pot, and two titanium stakes for wood burning. (pot not included)
Sidewinder System - $79.95 (See bundled discounts below)
- The Inferno accessory turns your Sidewinder into a wood burning gassifier/afterburner. It includes the inverted titanium Inferno Insert and lower grate system.
Sidewinder Inferno Add-On - $45
Order with your Sidewinder for only $40!
In the interest of facilitating Leave No Trace wood burning practices, Trail Designs offers one of two different styles of titanium floor plates to go under your Ti-Tri systems. The "split floor" is designed to go with the standalone Ti-Tri, or the single piece floor is designed to be used with the Inferno as it doesn't need to split to fit in the pot. If you order the floor, we will ship the one designed for your system unless you request otherwise.
Titanium Floor - $15
Order with your Sidewinder for only $10!
New for 2018! We developed the Kojin alcohol stove to bundle with the Sidewinder product! It's smaller in diameter than the classic 12-10 so it will pack inside the smaller pots. Also it's shorter and doesn't need the pot to stove separation, so you can drop your pot all the way into the cone for alcohol use...it does not require the stakes for alcohol mode. If you would like to try both stoves, we can add the 12-10 as well.
Get BOTH Stoves with your Sidewinder at 20% off - only $9.95
- Save 20% off ANY compatible pot when you buy this system! (pot not included)
- NOTE! With all our cone products, heat vents out around the handle cutout. This has been known to disfigure the start of the coating on insulated handles. If this is a concern, please do not buy a pot with handle insulation near the pot body.
Made in the USA!
The Sidewinder system includes everything pictured including the Ti-Tri titanium cone custom sized to fit your pot, the titanium GramCracker solid fuel kit, the lightweight aluminum Kojin stove that packs in your pot, fuel bottle kit with measuring cup, Tyvek sleeve to protect your pot, and two titanium stakes for wood burning mode. (pot not included)
The Caldera Ti-Tri Sidewinder is designed to be an alcohol and esbit cooking system that will support wood fires. If you would like to kick your wood fire capabilities up to the next level, you might want to consider adding the Inferno insert pictured above. The Inferno Insert and grate system, when used in conjunction with the Sidewinder facilitates better air flow and a much cleaner, more complete incineration for your wood fire. In addition to the lower grate system providing air flow under your fire, it also directs additional fresh air above your fire providing an "afterburner" effect giving you more complete combustion.... and like the Ti-Tri Sidewinder....everything fits in your pot!
In the interest of facilitating Leave No Trace practices, Trail Designs also offers two styles of titanium floor plates to go under your Ti-Tri systems in wood burning mode to help prevent scorching of the ground.
- Titanium Ti-Tri Cone sized to fit INSIDE your pot perfectly
- Titanium Gram Cracker solid fuel/esbit stove kit
- 2 titanium stakes for wood burning/alcohol mode
- Aluminum Kojin alcohol stove that packs in your pot
- Fuel bottle kit with measuring cup included
- Tyvek sleeves to hold your system and protect your pot
- Optional Inferno upgrade to turn your Ti-Tri into an afterburning blowtorch
- Optional titanium floor to protect the ground in wood burning mode
- (pot not included)
Dimensions and weight vary depending on what size pot is being used. Each system is hand crafted to fit your specific pot perfectly.
- Sidewinder Cone - 30 g to 42 g
- Inferno Cone - 16 g to 23 g
- Grates - 15 g to 21 g
- Floors - 10 g to 18 g
November 2015 - Backpacker
The Season's Best Gear - Winter Guide: Camp Kitchen
"Most people don't think you can use alcohol stoves in the winter, but with the Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri Stove System, Justin "Trauma" Lichter and his partner Shawn "Pepper" Forry were able to sustain their 131-day [winter PCT traverse] trek on denatured alcohol, even in temps well below 0° F"
September/October 2015 - Bike & Travel (German)
Outdoor Cooker - The Right Burner for the Next Tour - Hendrik Morkel
"The Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri has accompanied me safelyon most of my tours..."
Spring 2015 - BMC's Summit
What the Pro Takes - Long Distance Walking - Chris Townsend
"Ultralight, windproof and compact, this stove runs on meths, solid fuel or wood. I used it on both the Pacific Northwest Trail and the Scottish Watershed"
Spotlight: Page 18
2013 - Petersen's Hunting
Annual Gear Guide
Editor's Choice - Sidewinder Ti-Tri
"It's nearly weightless, shields the flame from wind, increases efficiency, and stores inside the short/fat pot of your choice.....it may be the coolest, lightest and most unique outfit out there."
Review - Page 58
Caldera Keg and Ti-Tri Sidewinder Review
".....weight wise this system is a home-run and not just for long trips. Imagine how much of a weight difference this will make on day hikes."
Original article - Page 58 and 59 (in Norwegian)
Issue 1 - Mar/Apr 2012
Review of the Trail Designs Ti-Tri Sidewinder
"...a well crafted reliable product that has few, if any competitors....you'll be hard pressed to find a better alcohol stove system, and we feel you'll be satisfied if you choose the (Ti-Tri) Sidewinder system for your cooking needs."
Review - page 45
Cooking Systems for Lightweight Backpacking - Chris Townsend
TGO - Best Buy
TGO - Recommended
"Caldera Cone stove systems have been my favourites for several years now. This model (Sidewinder) is the one I used on the Pacific Northwest Trail Last summer......"
Intro - Page 98
Review - Page 101
Camping Stoves - Gear Review
"....Caldera’s cone captures and maximizes heat from three potential sources: wood, alcohol, and esbit (a solid fuel tablet)......this versatile system (Sidewinder) requires much less fuel than petroleum-based systems so it’s more weight-efficient for backpacking.."
Online review here
75 Days of Testing - Chris Townsend's Pacific Northwest Trail Gear Report
"The (Sidewinder) Inferno stove was one of the great successes of the walk as I really enjoyed using it."
Original article - Page 85
"Just wanted to send you a little praise. Tried out my new sidewinder
this weekend and its freaking awesome! That inferno insert is genius!
The whole thing is a work of art. I've never felt compelled to just
email such love for a product but I gotta say, this is just great! Keep
up the good work."
Drew Fortson in an 11/9/11 email to Trail Designs
"I recently got a CC Sidewinder stove W/ the Inferno woodburning option
& a 3 cup pot. This sucker REALLY cooks fast with the ESBIT Gram
Cracker tab holder or
the Inferno wood burning kit. All I need is two hands full of twigs and
some tinder to cook for 20 minutes."
300winmag's WhiteBlaze post - 4/22/11
"The Inferno Sidewinder cooking system is ingenious in its simplicity and
delivers outstanding results in an incredibly short period of time. My
previous cooking systems (MSR pocket rocket & whisperlite) will
never again leave my equipment cache; however, my Inferno system will go
everywhere with me...."
John Silva - After a winter SAR trip to 7000' in the Sierras 3/16/11
"The TD guys have packed a lot of functionality into a compact package. (The Sidewinder) completely rocks in the inferno wood burning configuration!"
JD (Mustardman's) evaluation of the Sidewinder on BPL
"I have been using this cook system for the last few months, and it is by far the best offering that the folks at Trail Designs has yet come up with. Trail Designs has been hard at work, and the effort shows through in this product..... Frankly, I would give this a 10 out of 5 if it were in my power. I can only really try to compare it to the BushBuddy Ultra (the only other wood-burning stove I've tried), and well, there's no comparison....."
Lynn Tramper's evaluation of the Sidewinder on BPL
Trail Designs - Sidewinder from Trail Designs on Vimeo.
Trail Designs - Wood Burning Demo from Trail Designs on Vimeo.
If you have one of the following pots, please read the related notes.
K-Mart Grease Pot Alert
The question is - Does your pot have an 'innie' or an 'outie'? Before purchasing the Caldera Cone system for the K-Mart Grease Pot, we want to make sure you are getting the correct item. The K-Mart Grease Pot has the pot lip going outward that is supported by the Caldera Cone. This is sold by Kmart and is labeled the Stanco #GS1200 Grease Strainer. It also has the word GREASE stamped into the pot lid.
The Wally World Grease Pot, sold by Wal Mart and no longer available, has the rim folded in and will not work with this Caldera Cone. This pot was labeled Mirro Grease Saver and has the word GREASE stamped into the side of the pot.
(NOTE! The 1600ml pots below do not sit all the way into the pot in esbit mode)
Compatible Pots List
- Alpkit MytiPot (1350ml)
- Anti-Gravity Gear 3 Cup Pot
- Anti-Gravity Gear 2Qt Pot
- Backcountry.com 1650ml
- BPL FireLite 1300 ml
- Evernew 570ml TI Pot/Cup (EBY278R)
- Evernew 600 ml Short Ti Pot (ECA251 - ECA421)
- Evernew 700 ml Short AL Pot (ECA149)
- Evernew .9 L Short Ti Pot (ECA252 - ECA417 - ECA422 - ECA726)
- Evernew 1.3 L Pot (ECA253 - ECA418 - ECA423)
- Evernew 1.9L Short Ti Pot (ECA424 - ECA419)
- K-Mart Grease Pot
- Keith KP6017
- LiteTrail 1600ml Ti Cookpot
- MontBell 3D 1.9L
- MSR 1.0 L Titan Pot (NO HANDLE!)
- MSR 1.5 L Titan Pot(NO HANDLE!)
- Open Country 2 quart hard anodized (no handle)
- Open Country 2 quart non-stick (no handle)
- Open Country 3 cup hard anodized
- Open Country 3 cup non-stick
- REI Ti Ware .9 L Ti Pot
- REI Ti Ware 1.3 L Ti Pot
- Snow Peak Cook-n-Save
- Snow Peak Multi Compact Cookset (large titanium pot)
- Stoic Ti 1.6L
- Tibetan 1300 ml Ti Pot
- Toaks 550ml, 118mm BOWL, not mug (Kojin Only)
- Toaks Light Pot 700ml (Kojin Only)
- Toaks 900 (130mm Pot)
- Toaks 1350 (UL and Regular)
- Vargo .9 L (short/wide/handleless) Ti Pot
- Vargo 1.3 L Ti Pot (Post 2012 - with handle)
- Vargo 1.3 L Ti Pot (Pre 2012 - no handle)